Thursday 25 February 2010

Cold toast and cuppa soup!

So, what fine dining establishment serves cold toast and cuppa soup?
Instead of our usual mid week fayre, my friend accompanied me to Conwy farmers' market, where I had a chutney, pickle and relish stall. As she's never been to such a farmers' market before, I told her to bring food and a warm drink. She brought the cold toast; I brought the cuppa soup!
But what other delights were available at Conwy, on the last Wednesday of February?
There were two high class butchers, selling meat direct from their own farms - and both as good a quality as you'd get anywhere. Plenty of fresh, local vegetables were on offer, along with a wonderful variety of smoked produce. I eyed up the smoked garlic, but it was sold in a trice - I'll know next time!
There was a mountain of the freshest bread, which sold very quickly - people know quality when they see/taste it.
Honey, jams, chutneys from the Country market stall and light, fluffy cakes drew shoppers like magnets. Plenty of people stopped by my stall, tasted and bought from me - as it was my first time at this market, I was delighted by their comments!
The stall next to me was loaded with olives, black and shiny or green and plump! I tasted them and settled for some gorgeous yellow olive oil. Mixed with some balsamic vinegar and some home made foccacia to dip, it will be a super accompaniment to a Friday evening pasta dish.
I would say that the market is held in what can only be the most delightful surroundings - the RSPB sanctuary, Conwy, which has easy links from the A55 and Conwy itself. From the sanctuary, you can look out over the Conwy river towards Snowdonia - and take a walk along the river to Conwy itself. From there, you can stroll out to where part of the Mulberry Harbour was constructed for the D Day landings.
Do you know what I'd recommend?
On a sunny spring day, come to the market (last Wednesday of each month) with your picnic hamper and fill it with crusty bread, smoked cheese and a tasty jar of Simply Relish Tomato, red onion and chilli chutney. Pick up a cup cake (or two!) and a bottle of fresh apple juice. Saunter off along the river, past the Castle, to the quay at Conwy and watch the world go by, munching on your local produce 'butty'.
Actually, fine dining at its simplest - and best!

No comments:

Post a Comment